Guilt, anger, greed, and jealousy. Enemies of the Heart is a book about four destructive emotions, how they control us, resulting in bad attitudes, undesirable behavior, and damaged relationships. Andy Stanley believes that “practically every conflict and relational wound you’ve experienced can be traced back to one of these four” and assigns each one a debt/debtor relationship:
- Guilt – a feeling that we owe someone.
- Anger – a feeling that someone owes us.
- Greed – a feeling that we owe ourselves.
- Jealousy – a feeling that God owes us.
He encourages us to break free from the destructive power of these emotions, and makes the point that secrecy gives these emotions strength, while confronting them and remaining open helps us to overcome them.
- Guilt is overcome by the habit of confession.
- Anger is defeated by the habit of forgiveness.
- Greed is overcome by the habit of generosity.
- Jealousy is defeated by the habit of celebration.
The book also includes a six-week discussion guide, which makes it a great resource if you are looking for a study for your small groups. I refer to this book often in coaching and counseling sessions. It is understandable and offers practical, bible-based guidance while encouraging us to develop important habits that result in life change: confession, forgiveness, generosity, and celebration.
To purchase this book, click the button below. All purchases made through this link benefit New Name Ministries and help provide counseling funds to those in need.